Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Okie from Muskogee







Greetings from Muskogee, Oklahoma. Yes there is a song about this one-lane town, "The Okie from Muskogee". Good grief.

The Southern style nite club (see photo) is a shady bar located next to yesterday's Super 8 motel in Pryor, Oklahoma. I asked Mr.Patel at the motel what it was like and he laughed saying there's lots of fights. Good times. As I was sipping on my bud at the bar I asked a local and the bartender what there is to do in Oklahoma. "Nothing. Drinking. This place is a hole" they both agreed. Renea said, "On weedends there's lots of fights, you know, a couple of guys fighting over some two hundred pound girl." The bar's ceiling used to be covered with lots of dollar bills but they took them all down in order to buy the pool she said. I looked behind me at the pool tables. Then she walked over and began dancing around a pole in the middle of the dancefloor. Ah, poll ... not pool. As soon as her DUI charges are cleared, she has a hope of getting out of there. Good luck Renea.

What can I say about the midwest other than it reminds me a lot of Alberta? Lots of pick-up trucks and people that look like they dress at old navy. Gun pawn shops, baptist churches, KFC-Taco Bell, liquor stores, and Walmarts are in no short supply here. It might be the middle of nowhere but the people are nice. I think Oklahoma should be renamed Purgatory. It's not a complete hell yet there is nothing really special about it either. But I am enjoying the fall driving when I get on a smaller highway.

Along the way I made a pitstop at the Amish Cheese House in Chouteau were a couple of young blushing Amish laddies made me a swell sandwich and the cashier said, "God bless you." Thanks man.

2 Comments:

Blogger NYC TAXI SHOTS said...

/

October 31, 2006 6:16 PM  
Blogger Ema said...

I love the signs, a friend of mine send me a sign saying: "Staying in Bed and shouting Oh God does not constitute going to church" this was in front of a church in Houston.
kisses Ema

October 31, 2006 6:51 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home