Friday, January 23, 2015

Spicy Salad


As we speak it is dusk and I am typing these words in my hammock at my waterside bungalow in the aptly named spicy salad bar and bungalows of Hat Salad. If you look at the photos my bungalow is the white one in the middle.

Finally I got a shack on the water facing a Thai sunset. It wasn't easy. I spotted this place the day I came and had to show up every morning for three days to snag a room. Totally worth it. This was the one thing I wanted to experience the most … Wow. I have to stop typing for a moment. The dusk sky is a dull smokey orange and I just saw the first star pop out.

Mornings, dusks and evenings are far more interesting than afternoons. Maybe I should just sleep all afternoon and stay up all night? No. That wouldn't work for my tan.

There aren't that many bungalows here and they are only 600 Baht per night (about $20 a night). If you're interested they have a Facebook page where you can book. I highly recommend it if you want to go to Koh Phangan. These kinds of places are quickly disappearing. I can throw a rock at the five star resort that is next door with their gentrified AC bungalows and swimming pool. Swimming pool. Who needs a swimming pool out here?

I ordered a pineapple and banana shake, which they delivered to my bungalow for less than two bucks and filled it with several ounces of Sam Som, the local Thai rum which is quite good and had a do-it-yourself sort of Pina Coloda sundowner in my hammock as I snapped some pictures.

When I get hungry I'll try out some red chicken curry and a beer a few steps away. Not bad for seven bucks.










0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home