Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Kiev, Ukraine






Yesterday I arrived in sunny and warm Kiev from rainy and miserable London. The Hyatt where I’m staying is in the city center and has about thirty BMW’s, Lexus’ and the odd Porche valet parked out front. I had a fine complimentary meal in one of the restaurants here at the Hyatt including oysters from France, the best I’ve ever had. Afterwards I went to their outdoor patio bar at the top of the hotel which overlooks a Russian looking square. I sat and sipped a twenty-year old glass of port and smoked half of a Cuban cigar. At the table next to me, a well groomed middle-aged man with silver hair was making out with this Paris Hilton-esque girlfriend who looked like she could be younger than his daughter. They have put me in a room with access to the Regency Club which means complimentary cocktails and continental breakfast. It was a joy to do my computer work while sipping on a glass of white wine. The morning croissants are baked fresh in the hotel and they were better than the three I had in Paris. Before I left the patio again tonight after sampling duck procioutto and some other tasty treats I wondered what I’d do if I saw tanks rolling in down the street? I don’t know, I’m glad that I can crawl into my comfy bed and get some sleep. My hotel contact has agreed to cover the costs of doing some laundry. As you know it costs about eight bucks to wash some socks in a place like this. I’m grateful that I don’t have to do my laundry in the bathtub at this hotel!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home